Jan
2014

I moved to Mexico: AMA

(For those unfamiliar: ‘AMA’ is an acronym from Reddit that stands for ‘Ask Me Anything’.)

We’ve been living in Mexico for a few months now. At first I was too busy adjusting to talk about it, but now that I have the time to write something, I find I don’t know where to start. Our lives are different in many details, and I have little idea which ones other people would find interesting. I need direction.

So if you have any curiosity about our situation here, tell me what you’d like to know. I’ll answer everything, either here or (if subject-appropriate) on Pocketmint.

(You are, by the way, not limited to Mexico-related questions; I just figure that’s probably the most interesting thing about me at the moment. But if there’s something else you want to know, go for it; although I am less ‘on display’ than I was in the Nine Lives days, I am still at heart an open book.)

10 comments:

1. 10 Jan 2014 at 12:26 pm
    Chris

How’s the comfort level with Spanish for each of you? Can you converse enough to be social? What have you found most effective for learning?

2. 10 Jan 2014 at 1:10 pm
    Rob

Do you have concerns about the stability of the Mexican government, or local crime?

3. 10 Jan 2014 at 1:19 pm
    David Gates

How’s the day-to-day? Is the pace of life less, is there less stress, less pressure? What’s the one biggest difference?

4. 10 Jan 2014 at 3:52 pm

What’s the cost differential of buying things in Mexico vs the USA? And is the exchange rate more or less stable between the peso and USD? Would you ever consider opening a bank account in pesos, for example?

5. 10 Jan 2014 at 4:31 pm
    Mark Johnston

What’s the one thing that has been most unexpected part of life in Mexico? What do you enjoy the most about living there? What do you miss the most from the states?

6. 11 Jan 2014 at 12:29 pm

Chris and Rob, your answers are up. :) David’s and Mark’s will be in the next post.

Tom, your answer will appear (along with Zac’s quesion from Facebook) on Pocketmint.

7. 12 Jan 2014 at 12:18 pm
    meera

Are you visiting New York soon? Is Jak coming with you? Please note that these questions are relevant to a wide* audience.

*my cat is really wide and she probably wants to know.

8. 12 Jan 2014 at 9:08 pm

haha. :)

If ‘soon’ is defined as ‘sometime in 2014’, then the answer is yes. I’m looking at sometime between May and December, though.

Jak will have to speak for himself; all I can say for sure is that he has the budget for two trips to the States this year, one of which could theoretically be NYC …

9. 14 Jan 2014 at 11:00 am
    meera

Between May and Dec isn’t so far away! I will start compiling dessert recipes.

10. 20 Jan 2015 at 1:30 pm
    seattlejo

So, it’s been over a year, how’s it going?